Wednesday, April 15, 2015

"All Day I Did the Little Things ..."

 
 
 
The Blue Bowl

All day I did the little things,
The little things that do not show;
I brought the kindling for the fire
I set the candles in a row,
I filled a bowl with marigolds,
The shallow bowl you love the best --
And made the house a pleasant place
Where weariness might take its rest.

The hours sped on, my eager feet
Could not keep pace with my desire.
So much to do, so little time!
I could not let my body tire;
Yet, when the coming of the night
Blotted the garden from my sight,
And on the narrow, graveled walks
Between the guarding flower stalks
I heard your step: I was not through
With services I meant for you.

You came into the quiet room
That glowed enchanted with the bloom
Of yellow flame. I saw your face,
Illumined by the firelit space,
Slowly grow still and comforted --
"It's good to be at home," you said.

   - Blanche Bane Kuder
 
 
Some days we never finish all that we intend to do. But the reward of a husband returning home -- one man happy to be in the embrace of his woman, content to sleep under faded comforters and eat simple meals -- seems to make every chore, every project, every list worthwhile and even enjoyable.
 
A dear friend of mine shared this poem -- I couldn't help but fall in love with it.
 
Love and blessings,

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely poem, it says everything that is meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, sweet Miss Barbara!!

      I agree -- it says everything that is meaningful and I am glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  2. How sweet... Having a happy man makes everything worth it, I agree :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)

      It is! I know your hubby is very happy with all the spring cleaning going on in your home!!

      Delete
  3. Dear Frannie, I love this poem, I first discovered it in an old book, (it was actually an old boxed set of Shakespeare I found in a curiosity shop in Newent Gloucestershire, England. Two years ago) hand written on a piece of old paper and looks like signed by the author. I had never heard of her till today, when I "googled" it !!Then I found your lovely site, and thought I would share this with you. I copied this poem out for my lovely man, on his birthday card. Yours Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ps, It is Titled "Reward" but seems to be generally Known as "The Blue Bowl"

    ReplyDelete

Hey there, darling!

I'd love to hear your thoughts -- leave a comment below and I'll do my best to give you a reply. There is nothing sweeter then hearing from my readers!

Love, blessings and a steaming cup of coffee,

Frannie Anne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...