Friday, April 5, 2013

My Fear of All Things Babies



Babies. Most females my age love the little bundles; they like to kiss, hug, and jostle about the squirming creature and they enjoy cooing and soothing and holding all the while making it look easy and natural.

I, on the other hand, am different. Much different.

Put a baby in my arms and I become as wide-eyed, stiff, and awkward as can be.

Babies scare me. They’re fragile. Their necks flop about and they are so hard to dress; it took me forever to learn how to button onsies (so many buttons!) and I’m scared stiff to pull their little t-shirts over their little faces.

Back in Alaska I’m known for putting a baby’s diaper on backward.

Toddlers aren’t any better—instead of enjoying the cute faces they make I spend energy worrying about whether or not they’ll choke on a carrot or if it’s time to change the diaper.

Finally, the birth process. Oi. I have ever so many questions about the pregnancy. Don’t get me wrong, I think it is a miraculous event and I believe motherhood in all its stages is beautiful.  But what about weight gain, labor, pain and all those doctor visits?

You see, I’ve never had any little people in the house to take care of. When my sister and I babysat she would take care of the babies and I would take care of the cleaning; we made a great team and I relished the chance to avoid those fragile, precious packages.

Last week I had the chance to visit with a friend who recently had her first baby. We talked about little things at first; I was afraid becoming a mom had totally changed her. Then we began to talk about it, the baby and the birth.

“Was it painful?”

“How has your body adjusted?”

“How did you handle all those doctors?”

“Was the umbilical cord . . . creepy?” J Ever since I watched an episode of “I Didn’t Know I was Pregnant” the umbilical cord has resembled something alive from the SciFi channel! Eeek!

It was so good for me to ask real questions and to hear honest answers. It was such relief to know that pregnancy and labor are hard but well worth it. It was such a blessing to see how God carried her through her pregnancy and labor and how the pain is now drifting into the past . . . just like He promised.

So, am I ready to pick up every baby I see?

No.

But am excited to see the little ways God molds and changes my heart and soothes my fears?

Absolutely.

With love,

          Frannie

          The baby about babies
 
Like that baby carriage? Me too! Find it here.

4 comments:

  1. I remember being just like that too! Nothing could persuade me to hold someone else's baby! One does change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! I know exactly what you mean, Frannie! I've worked with babies and toddlers before and I really enjoy it, but that doesn't mean I'm not still nervous!! You'd have laughed to see how much I was shaking the first time I had to change a three-month-old's diaper ...

    My biggest problem is interacting with tiny ones when others are nearby. Other women seem to have a very easy, natural manner of talking to babies and toddlers; but while I'm great at holding them and talking softly to them one-on-one, if I'm expected to say gushy things, I instantly turn awkward and weird. :-P

    Thankfully, my mom always says that it's different with your own children than it is with others' ... :-)

    ~ Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not that I'm making fun or anything, but I was kind of surprised reading this post.. :-) I thought for sure that you were the kind of person that would be the first one to hold a baby if you ever got near one.. :)
    That's alright, though. :) I used to be fairly terrified of them, but I've gotten over it. However, it is neat to read to your posts because I love how honest you are. It encourages me so much. :) Keep growing in the Lord, my friend!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I am so glad to see there are others like me. Thank you all for your encouragement!

    If ever I bump into you and you happen to have a sweet one of your own let me practice my cooing and ah-ing, will you?

    Love to you,
    Frannie

    ReplyDelete

Hey there, darling!

I'd love to hear your thoughts -- leave a comment below and I'll do my best to give you a reply. There is nothing sweeter then hearing from my readers!

Love, blessings and a steaming cup of coffee,

Frannie Anne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...