Sunday, September 2, 2012

5 Ways to make Fall *Fall* Sooner

 

Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns.

 --George Eliot

September has gently crept upon us here at Copperhead Ridge, our home’s temporary name. The weather is slowly cooling and we have been blessed by a few days of rain. (I think I’ve seen various stoic farmers throw their dusty hats in the air and dance a little jig . . . or maybe that was just a windblown scarecrow? Hmm . . .)

 Despite all my yearnings and wishings, it isn’t quite autumn yet . . . a very hard fact for my heart to take in. I’m used to Alaskan falls; by August the weather is dipping down into the 40’s and the Birches begin to turn yellow. By September we could have snow.

So, to see strong, green leaves and to experience weather in the 80’s is a difficult experience for a girl who loves all things fall and winter related. (Newsflash: Christmas day is only  3 months and 23 days away)

In order to fight off my summertime blues and encourage the foliage to change quickly I’ve made a list of autumn time activities which I hope to complete. (Do you think Mr. Frost will see my earnestness and come earlier?)

Frannie’s List for Making Fall *Fall * Sooner

1.      Begin Fall Cleaning: A time of mopping, organizing, wiping, and dusting. This also involves the pulling out of autumnal décor such as maple leaf garlands, a variety of scarecrows, and the scattering of hard, warty gourds.

2.      Attack Homework, manfully: Typically, this word is associated with various guttural sounds such as uhhs and umfs and furrowed brows. However, this term is, in all truthfulness, a sign of great blessing—homework = school = kind parents who bless. 

3.      Bake: Exactly what it says! Spend time baking yummy fall items such as Frosted Zucchini Cookies, Chocolate Chip Apple Sauce Cake (subsitute canned pumpkin, yummy!), and on especially cool nights, hot chocolate.


4.      Wear Sweaters: Nothing will encourage Mr. Jack Frost to make his entry faster than watching various (ahem, silly) girls dawn sweaters, especially green, purple, and orange colored ones.

*Dawning one’s knee socks will also encourage Mr. Frost; however, one should remember that he or she may be thought absurd by the summer-loving, flip-flop wearing public.

 
5.      Light, Listen, Snuggle: As in: light pumpkin candles, turn on Christmas music, and snuggle into one’s sofa with a source of good literature.


*Need a few suggestions? Wind in the Willows, Bud, not Buddy, and Jonathan Edwards Sermons all make for excellent moments of reading.
 

These five items are quite simple and thoroughly enjoyable! Although I am sure one silly, Missouri girl’s (sincerest) efforts will not bring fall about earlier, I am certain they will produce full days and happy moments.

What does your family do to prepare for autumn? I’d love to hear about it!
              Cuteness! Find his proper owner here!
 
With warmest wishes,
 Frannie

1 comment:

  1. Autumn is probably my favorite season. Ok, not 'probably'. It IS! :) I guess Spring might've been my favorite, but it's so windy around here during that season that Fall is so much more lovely. The air just because so fresh and crisp, and the chilly air and warm sun fill me with happiness. I sometimes get giddy just stepping outside! Putting on sweaters and warm, adorable hats are definitely a must. So, as you might imagine, I'd absolutely LOVE for Fall to come... yet, being a ranchers daughter, I'm praying that it doesn't come before some more rain. Otherwise we won't have any grass for the cows to eat during the winter. :/ Rather a problem when your wishes and 'know how' don't go in the same direction... ;)
    I do love your list, though! ;) But, I will admit that I like my flip flops too much to start wearing my knee highs... yet! ;)
    I pray you are having a blessed day, Frannie!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there, darling!

I'd love to hear your thoughts -- leave a comment below and I'll do my best to give you a reply. There is nothing sweeter then hearing from my readers!

Love, blessings and a steaming cup of coffee,

Frannie Anne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...