Friday, October 26, 2012

Bits of Love


“But now thus saith the Lord that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine.” Isaiah 43:1
 
I see a few bits of love in this verse.

·         “the Lord that created thee,”

You were created.

Not thrown together; not an accident, not a happenstance of nature. Your skin tone, toes, hair strands, and mitochondria were all created.
 

·         “O, Jacob,”

I use to wonder why on earth God would insist on addressing Himself as, “the God of Jacob.” Couldn’t He have chosen someone more worthy; someone like Enoch? Instead, He chooses Jacob: liar, thief, despiser of Leah, father who plays favorites . . .

And then it hit me. He chooses people like Jacob—liars, thieves, and all other sinners to be known as His people.

 
·         “O Israel,”

The Bible is overflowing with charming, delightful descriptions of the Israelites . . . right?

Actually, most of the time, the stories are full of a hard-hearted, faithless people and yet God insists on being associated with them. He insists on being what they need.
 

·         “Fear not:”

I’m reminded of the verse in I John (I believe) which says that perfect love casts out fear and also of I Timothy which says that we are not given a spirit of fear.

 
·         “for I have redeemed thee,

Why not be afraid? Because if you are a follower of Jesus you have been redeemed.

 Bought.

Forgiven.

And being redeemed is the greatest key to defeating fear; fear of death, guilt, and shame.
 

·         “I have called thee by thy name;”

Yes, He calls us by our names. The God of the constellations, of Niagara Falls, of the Amazon jungle, of the Milky Way calls you by your name.

 
·         “thou art mine.”

And He owns you, holds you, in the very hands which fashioned our universe and the plan to redeem it.
 

“But now thus saith the Lord that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine.” Isaiah 43:1
 

What an amazing and merciful God we serve! Let’s make Him known with the same love His given us!

♥,

Frannie
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...