Saturday, June 12, 2010

A Long Week, A Good Week

Greetings friends! Today is a beautiful day in Missouri; a day full of sunshine, flowers and greenery, and a light breeze. I hope everyone is having a sunny day too, if not outside than in your heart. :)

Well, as the title suggests I had a very long week. I work at a Christian camp as a cook and spend my day preparing and serving breakfast and luch as well as preparing for dinner. You wouldn't think cooking could be hard, but it is! I really enjoy my job for the following reasons- I work with godly people, I am able to be a blessing to campers and fellow staff, and I am learning valuable lessons (both physical and spiritual) I can use later in life. I find peace and joy because I know this is where God wants me to work. Why? Because He found and brought me to it! We had been living in Missouri for a few months and had been visiting a church in town. I was hoping to apply as a waitress at a nearby resteraunt, but a dear lady suggested I apply at the camp. Well, I didn't; I procrastinated for a few weeks (feeling guilty the whole time). But praise the Lord I eventually ended up with an interview. And it went on from there! I know that my finding the camp was by God's grace and I am so thankful to Him!

Anyways, this week as been long and hard due to the humidity, the size of the group (about 45 expectant, hungry mouths), and the fact that this was our first, official camp of the season. I had to adjust from my easy winter work apron and quickly jump into my busy summer apron (figurativly speaking :). However, this was such a rewarding and beautiful week! God is so good in taking us when we cannot offer any more and, by His grace, making us into beautiful sacrifices reflecting Him. I was blessed by my sweet camper's thankfulness and kindess, the kitchen crew's willingness and diligence in their work, and by supportive family and staff. God was so good! One special thing the Lord taught me this week was not to fear man and not to worry about my reputation. 
"The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe." Prov 29:25
When you are facing a difficult task do you fear tainting your repuation and what other's will say? I do. For example, on Monday I was to make 1 1/2 batches of sausage gravy and two boxes of biscuits. I wish I could say I went about my task with trust and joy in my heart and a peaceful smile on my face. But I didn't. Instead, I ran about the kitchen like a mad woman, fretting and stressing.
"Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Phil 4:6-8
My stressing and fretting were and are sin. Why am I stressing out--because I am afraid of what other's think of me. "Will they think I'm a good cook" and so on. This is sin and indeed, the fear of man does bring a snare. Phillipians 4:6-8 speaks of the wonderful and Fatherly love of God. He cares about every tiny detail in my life (Yes, He knows I don't want the hamstrips to burn and yes, He knows how badly I want the gravy to turn out). God heard my every sigh, praise, and grumble this past week and all the while He wanted me to know that He alone controls this universe and yes, that He alone is in control of my kitchen!
"The heavens are thine, the earth also is thine: as for the world and the fulness thereof, thou hast founded them" Psalms 89:11
If only I could learn to trust in Him I know my day would be not be nearly as troubling or stressful.
"Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.
Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass." Psmams 37:3-5

Beyond the fact that God is in control, he loves me and lovingly uses every success and failure in my kitchen for my good.
"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Rom 8:28.
Yes, every over-boiled hotdog and every not-enough-marshmellows crispy treat is ultimately for my good. And this week I have seen how He has used my failures and successes for my good.  Humility, which I find helpful when defined as "Recognizing that it is actually God and others who are responsible for the achievements in my life (James 4:6)," seriously lacks in my life. God sees this and He desires to work it into me and He will use the kitchen as His tool! He is so good! :)

I cannot name all of the blessings which came out of this difficult week. I began to see God for who He is--my loving, caring, and in control Father and I also made sweet friends with some campers who I am going to sorely miss. Yes, it was a long week, but it was a good week.

May the Lord bless you friends. He is a true and living God and I am so excited He wants to change us!
With love, 


P.S. The definition (which I love!) for humility is taken from Bill Gothard's list of character qualities. Please go check it out at this link.

2 comments:

  1. Frannie,
    I love the way that you write, with the love of the Lord pouring forth from your heart. Trying weeks have been in my past, and I know that they will be in my future, but if I simply "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understandings.." I know that I have the loving Shephard to hold me and guide me.
    Thank you for sharing your encouraging words....

    Your Sister In Christ,
    ~Shannon~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frannie,

    wow, sounds like you are busy! I am glad you had a wonderful week, though, and learned many spiritual blessings! That is always wonderful.

    I awarded you over at my blog!

    Love in Chris,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Hey there, darling!

I'd love to hear your thoughts -- leave a comment below and I'll do my best to give you a reply. There is nothing sweeter then hearing from my readers!

Love, blessings and a steaming cup of coffee,

Frannie Anne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...